FORT MYERS, Fla. - No. 3 Liberty battled back to defeat No. 6 North Florida by a score of 3-1 in Thursday's First Round action of the 2019 ASUN Conference Volleyball Championship at Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. The Flames improve to 19-10 to earn their second consecutive trip to the ASUN Championship Semifinal.
The Flames took an early lead but two quick kills from Solimar Cestero kept the Ospreys close. UNF took a 7-6 lead with a Taryn Griffey block. Liberty and North Florida battled back and forth before Grace Youngblood had a service ace to swing the momentum in favor of the Ospreys. A late 5-0 run propelled UNF to take set one 25-20.
Casey Goodwin led Liberty to an early 4-2 advantage with a pair of kills that would allow the Flames to lead the Ospreys for the entire second set. UNF battled back with a 5-1 run to tie the match at 20-20 with a kill from Cestero. Goodwin collected the final two points for Liberty with a kill and a block assist to win the set 25-23.
After trailing 10-8, Trevor Johnson's team went on an 8-1 run that included four kills and three blocks to give Liberty a 16-11 lead. Amelia Johnson and Goodwin had kills back-to-back in the final 4-0 run in set three to give Liberty a 2-1 advantage in the match.
Inside The Box Score
- Casey Goodwin was one of three with double-doubles for Liberty recording 19 kills, 15 digs and eight blocks.
- Amelia Johnson was the second, recording 18 kills and 14 digs. Hannah Morris was the final Flame with a double-double (35 assists, 12 digs).
- Kailey Macy posted a match-high 10 blocks while Aspen Thompson posted six.
- Julianna Askew had the only double-double for the Ospreys with 31 assists and 12 digs.
- There were a total of 27 ties in the four-set match and 10 lead changes, the most coming in the first set (12 ties and five lead changes).
- Rocio Moro had a match-high 25 digs to lead the Osprey defense.
- Liberty outhit North Florida .217-.092, while also leading in digs (74-70), blocks (17-8), assists (50-40) and kills (54-45).
News & Notes
- The Flames are 1-0 against the Ospreys in the ASUN Championship.
- The No. 3 seed improves to 23-3 against the No. 6 seed in the ASUN Championship.
- Macy's 10 blocks marked the most blocks by a Liberty player this season.
- Liberty's 17 blocks marked the 14th time the Flames have recorded 10 or more blocks this season.
No. 3 Liberty advances to battle No. 2 Kennesaw State in the ASUN Championship Semifinal Friday, at 7:30 PM in Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. North Florida finishes the 2019 season with a 15-18 record.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.