FORT MYERS, Fla. - In Thursday's First Round action of the 2019 ASUN Conference Volleyball Championship, No. 4 Lipscomb defeated No. 5 Stetson by a score of 3-1 at Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. The Bisons improve to 16-13 to earn their 15th consecutive trip to the ASUN Championship Semifinal.
The Hatters took an early lead and never trailed the Bisons winning the opening set 25-18 while outhitting Lipscomb .361 to .195. Lipscomb battled back after falling behind 6-3 to tie the second set at 8-8, its third tie of the set. After the Bisons broke the 10-10 tie they went on an 8-2 run and held off the Hatters to take set two 25-19.
Stetson went on a 6-0 run to grab a 10-4 lead in the third set before Lipscomb matched it with a 6-0 run of its own to tie the match at 10-10 (the 5th of 11 ties). The Hatters broke the tie and went on a 5-0 run. The Bisons tied the match again at 23-23 with a kill from Lauren Myrick. A kill by Lanie Wagner tied the match for the 11th and final time of the set before Samantha Rubal gave the Bisons set point on a kill. A Stetson attack error put Lipscomb up 2-1 in the match with a 30-28 set three final.
The fourth set was another battle that saw several ties and lead changes but a late 4-0 run by Lipscomb that saw two kills from Rubal, one from Megan Kuper and a block pushed the Bisons to clinch the match.
Inside The Box Score
- Megan Kuper was one of two with a double-double for Lipscomb tonight recording 13 kills and 17 digs.
- Morgan Elmore was the second recording 53 assists and 19 digs.
- Emily DeStaffino had a double-double for the Hatters with 50 assists and 15 digs.
- There were a total of 13 lead changes in the match, six coming in the final set.
- The third set had 38 kills between the two squads, Lipscomb with 21 and Stetson with 17.
News & Notes
- Lipscomb advances to the ASUN Championship Semifinal match for the 15th consecutive year and fourth time as the No. 4 seed during that time span.
- With the win, the Bisons improve their all-time record against the Hatters to 25-2.
- Lipscomb had nine service aces, a season-high, three coming from Alexis Triplett.
No. 4 Lipscomb advances to battle No. 1 FGCU in the ASUN Championship Semifinal Friday, at 5 PM in Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. Stetson finishes the 2019 season with a 12-15 record.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.