DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (UNFOspreys.com) - Conference tournament berths are on the line and the River City Rumble is set for Friday, but not to be lost in the shuffle was UNF's 3-1 win against Bethune-Cookman (7-20) Tuesday, Nov. 5.
Sophomore Solimar Cestero set the UNF (13-15) four-set match record for kills with 30, eclipsing 500 for her young career. Rookie and fellow Puerto Rican Rocio Moro also surpassed a milestone, notching 15 digs to give her 513.
Cestero's mark broke her 29-kill performance Oct. 11 at Stetson of this season. That mark was tied with Wendy Ballut's total against North Dakota State in 1995. Becky De Jong put up 36 kills in five sets against Barry in 1996, giving Cestero the record for the rally scoring era.
UNF 3, B-CU 1 (25-16, 25-16, 20-25, 25-16)
Inside the Sets
- Set 1: UNF came out of the gates swinging, hitting .351 with 17 kills while holding Bethune-Cookman to only nine kills … Cestero had nine kills alone in the opening session, reaching 500 kills in the first session.
- Set 2: The Ospreys cruised to the same set score in the second frame, doing it almost all on the offensive end of the floor … UNF posted 20 kills and .415 hitting.
- Set 3: Bethune-Cookman got one back in a back-and-forth set that featured eight tie scores and four lead changes … The Wildcats hit a .370 clip with three aces, while UNF posted a .333 hitting percentage.
- Set 4: North Florida had a set three slip-up roll off its back in the fourth thanks to a staggering .480 hitting percentage … UNF only had four errors while tallying four aces, three blocks and 15 kills.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Cestero | 30 kills, .529 hitting percentage
- Taryn Griffey | 15 kills, .344 hitting percentage, three blocks
- Julianna Askew | 54 assists, 11 digs
- Moro | 15 digs, seven assists, three aces
- Faith Landreneaux | 13 kills, .650 hitting
- Kortney Curtis | 29 assists
- Shayla Eugene | 16 digs
- Skyla Whitaker | Three aces
- It was Askew's second double-double of the season.
- Griffey is still tied with Morgan Van Alstine for the most solo blocks in UNF DI history.
- The Ospreys are 24-2 all-time against Bethune-Cookman.
- It was UNF's fourth match with double-digit aces.
- UNF's .390 hitting percentage is its fourth best of the year.
- The Ospreys picked up its eighth non-conference win of the year.
"I thought we had three really good sets tonight," head coach Kristen Wright said. "We didn't execute in the third set and had some unforced errors, which we've been working against. But, overall we did some nice things. Solimar had a career night and I couldn't be more proud of her. Griffey was on fire and those two carried us the whole night. I think Bria started really hot and we have to keep focusing on getting her involved. We did a good job, got a win and we have to keep getting better and I think we will do that. We're excited for this weekend."
UNF holds Senior Night for Taryn Griffey Friday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m. when it hosts Jacksonville.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.