ATLANTA, Ga. - The fourth weekend of ASUN Conference Volleyball action begins Friday, with four matches followed by three matches on Saturday before the weekend wraps up with one match Sunday. All eight matches are slated to be broadcast with six scheduled to air on ESPN+.
Three ASUN squads rank in the Top-150 of the NCAA RPI with FGCU leading the way at 48 followed by Kennesaw State (89) and Liberty (136), respectively. As a conference, the ASUN is ranked No. 17 out of 32 leagues.
FGCU Eagles (17-3, 6-1 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: vs. NJIT* (10/19; 7 PM - Facebook Live) | vs. Bethune-Cookman (10/22; 6 PM - Facebook Live)
Last Three Matches: at FIU (W, 3-0) | vs. Kennesaw State* (W, 3-1) | vs. Jacksonville* (W, 3-0)
- Chelsey Lockey ranks ninth in the NCAA in assists per set (11.29) and has tallied 30 or more assists in 18 of her 20 matches; in eight of her 20 matches she has reached 40+ assists.
- Cortney VanLiew ranks 23rd in the country in kills per set (4.34) and 28th in points per set (4.85) while Dana Axner is 23rd in the nation in digs per set (5.13); both lead the league in each respective category.
- Daniele Serrano sits in third in the ASUN Volleyball career standings for total blocks with 425, just 10 shy of second and 50 from being the leader; she has tallied 64 blocks this season.
- FGCU enters the weekend on a seven-match winning streak and holds an 8-0 record against NJIT and a 13-0 all-time mark against Bethune-Cookman.
Jacksonville Dolphins (7-13, 3-3 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: at Lipscomb* (10/18; 7:30 PM - ESPN+) | at Kennesaw State* (10/19; 5 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Matches: vs. North Florida* (L, 3-2) | at FGCU* (L,3-0) | at North Alabama* (W, 3-0)
- Sydney Bolding is just one of two freshmen to rank in the Top-15 in the nation for hitting percentage; ranks 12th with a .425 hitting percentage this season while hitting .447 in conference play.
- Mallory Mattingly has 1,307 career kills and has cracked the Top-15 in ASUN history and is just 126 away from passing FGCU's Amanda Carroll who sits ninth with 1,433; only 23 digs shy from reaching 1,000 career digs.
- Natalie Wehner is the second in the ASUN in digs (356) and ranks third in digs/set (4.56); she has recorded 15 digs or more in 13 of her matches this season and is 31 digs away from 1,000 in her career.
- The Dolphins hold a 12-10 series record over the Owls; as a team, Jacksonville is the second in the conference in kills (987), assists (917), digs (1081) and points (1,240).
Kennesaw State Owls (12-6, 5-1 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: vs. Liberty* (10/18; 7 PM - ESPN+) | vs. Jacksonville* (10/19; 5 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Matches: at FGCU* (L, 3-1) | vs. North Alabama* (W, 3-1) | at Lipscomb* (W, 3-1)
- As a team, the Owls rank in the Top-20 in two NCAA categories - aces per set (11th; 1.89) and aces (14th; 132); Lauren Chastang is tied for seventh in the nation in aces (40).
- Lexi Broadwater is fourth in the country in total assists (789) while ranking No. 10 in assists per set (11.27); she is one-of-three players in the ASUN to rank inside the Top-10 in two categories.
- Quin Sutphin is third in the conference hitting .341 this season and in the last six matches, she has recorded double-digit kills in five while adding a .429 clip; she has hit .300 or better in 11 matches this season and .500 or better in five.
- Karlee Groover is 29 digs shy of joining the 1,000-dig club, becoming just the fourth in program history to reach the milestone; this season she has 300 digs for a 4.29 average while tallying 92 digs for a 4.38 average in league play.
Liberty Flames (12-7, 5-2 ASUN)
Upcoming Match: at Kennesaw State* (10/18; 7 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Matches: vs. Stetson* (L, 3-2) | vs. NJIT* (W, 3-0) | at Lipscomb* (L, 3-0)
- The Flames hold a 10-1 record this season when taking the first set and have out-hit fellow conference opponents .251 to .155 so far this season.
- Amelia Johnson continues to lead the Liberty attack averaging 4.16 kills per set overall while averaging 4.84 kills per set in conference matches, ranking second and first, respectively.
- Casey Goodwin became 16th player and the first Liberty Flame since 2014 to reach 1,000 career kills in program history; Goodwin enters the weekend averaging 2.57 kills/set.
- Anna Gragg is 26th in the country in hitting percentage (.410) and leads the ASUN in conference hitting percentage (.464); Gragg and Kailey Macy have combined for 146 blocks this season.
Lipscomb Bisons (8-9, 4-2 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: vs. Jacksonville* (10/18; 7:30 PM - ESPN+) | vs. North Florida* (10/20; 3 PM - ESPN+) | vs. North Alabama* (10/22; 7:30 PM)
Last Three Matches: at NJIT* (W, 3-0) | at North Alabama* (W, 3-0) | vs. Liberty* (W, 3-0)
- Lipscomb enters the weekend on a three-match winning streak, which also includes three straight sweeps in conference play; the Bisons posted its highest team hitting percentage in the sweep over UNA with a .310 clip.
- Morgan Elmore has 3,072 career assists, putting her 18th in the ASUN career record book for assists; has a total of 220 assists in league play for a 10.48 average per set (4th).
- Sami Rubal has been a key in Lipscomb's offensive attack in its 3-0 conference run, totaling 24 kills, a hitting percentage of .564 while adding six blocks.
- The Bisons lead the all-time series with Jacksonville with a 21-9 record; Lipscomb has been dominant when facing the Ospreys, holding a 22-3 all-time record including a 10-1 mark inside Allen Arena.
NJIT Highlanders (1-20, 0-6 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: at Stetson* (10/18; 6 PM - ESPN+) | at FGCU* (10/19; 7 PM - Facebook Live) | at Manhattan (10/23; 7 PM)
Last Three Matches: vs. Lipscomb* (L, 3-0) | at Liberty* (L, 3-0) | at North Florida* (L, 3-0)
- NJIT is slated for three straight road matches as they travel to Florida this weekend before heading back north to New York for a midweek match against Manhattan.
- Sarah Merritt leads the team with 149 kills and averages 2.26 kills per set; Madi Busler is second with 143 kills while holding a 2.23 kills per set average.
- Olivia Welsch has totaled 246 digs this season, 68 coming in league play and has a total of 833 digs in her career; averages 3.40 digs per set in conference play while holding a 3.28 mark overall.
- Liz Benson has 442 assists this season with a 7.13 assists per set average; the senior setter is just 194 assists away from 2,500 career assists.
North Alabama Lions (3-16, 1-5 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: at North Florida* (10/18; 7 PM - ESPN+) | at Stetson* (10/19; 6 PM - Hatter Vision) | at Lipscomb* (10/22; 7:30 PM)
Last Three Matches: at Kennesaw State* (L, 3-1) | vs. Lipscomb* (L, 3-0) | vs. Jacksonville* (L, 3-0)
- The Lions continue a four-match road stint as they head to Florida for two matches before traveling to Tennessee for its final regular-season road match.
- Alyssa Dutton leads the Lions offense this season with 117 kills, averaging 2.02 kills/set; Anna Katherine-Griggs is second on the UNA squad with 106 kills (1.68 kills per set).
- Breylee Linder has 302 assists this season for a 4.79 assists per set average while Mackenzie Sullivan has 219 digs for a 4.21 digs per set average.
- The meetings this weekend mark North Alabama's third meeting with UNF and Stetson; taking three sets total against UNF, two of which came at home.
North Florida Ospreys (9-12, 2-4 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: vs. North Alabama* (10/18; 7 PM - ESPN+) | at Lipscomb* (10/20; 3 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Matches: vs. Florida A&M (W, 3-2) | at Jacksonville* (W, 3-2) | at Stetson* (L, 3-1)
- Julianna Askew ranks third in the nation in total digs (804) and is the only freshman in the top-10; she is also one-of-23 student-athletes nationally to record a triple-double this season recording 10 kills, 42 assists and 10 digs against Mississippi State.
- Rocio Moro is the ASUN Defensive Player of the Week and leads the conference while setting 14th in the NCAA in total digs (384) and is just one-of-three rookies in the top-15 in total digs this season.
- Solimar Cestero has had three consecutive double-double matches for the Ospreys, including a season-high 27 kills against Stetson; Cestero is averaging 3.18 kills per set while hitting .231.
- O'Connell is on her way to reaching 1,000 career kills as she is 55 shy while Griffey is 24 blocks away from having 300 career blocks; O'Connell would be just the third player to reach 1,000 kills in UNF's Division I era.
Stetson Hatters (5-11, 2-4 ASUN)
Upcoming Matches: vs. NJIT* (10/18; 6 PM - ESPN+) | vs. North Alabama* (10/19; 6 PM - Hatter Vision)
Last Three Matches: at Liberty* (W, 3-2) | vs. North Florida* (W, 3-1) | vs. Bethune-Cookman (W, 3-0)
- The Hatters enter the weekend on a three-match winning streak, downing Liberty 3-2 in its last outing while picking up a 3-1 win over UNF.
- Eva Deisa was named the ASUN Player of the Week after averaging 4.78 kills, 3.78 digs and 0.56 blocks per set to help Stetson to a 2-0 record last week.
- Kaylee Oscarson Averaged 3.2 kills and 1.1 blocks per set and hit a scorching .667 to earn ASUN Freshman of the Week honors; against Liberty, she had 15 kills and set a new Vines Center record with a .833 attack percentage.
- Chelcie Spence leads the defensive efforts for Stetson, tallying a total of 257 digs; as a team, the Hatters lead the conference in digs per set (17.28) and total digs (432) in league play.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.