NASHVILLE, Tenn. - In Sunday's Semifinal action of the 2019 ASUN Conference Women's Soccer Championship, No. 2 Lipscomb defeated No. 6 NJIT by a score of 1-0 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. The Bisons improve to 13-5-1 to earn their fifth consecutive trip to the ASUN Championship Final.
The Highlanders and Bisons played to a scoreless draw in the first half, as Lipscomb had several scoring opportunities with five shots on goal. NJIT put more pressure on the Lipscomb backline in the second half when Fiona Wright carried the ball down the field and fired off the first shot of the game for the Highlanders in the 62nd minute.
With less than four minutes remaining in regulation, Lipscomb's Maycie McKay connected with Danielle Van Liere in the 87th minute to give the Bisons a late 1-0 lead. The goal marked Van Liere's first of the season and McKay's seventh assist in 2019.
The Highlanders committed a foul near midfield to give the Bisons a set-piece. Lipscomb's Dominique Diller put the ball on target and NJIT goalie Molly Saylor deflected it away. Maycie McKay picked up the loose ball and sent a cross into the box that Danielle Van Liere was there to finish.
- 86:50 - Danielle Van Liere (Maycie McKay)
Inside The Box Score
- Lipscomb outshot NJIT 15-2; the Bisons posted 10 in the first half and five in the second compared to the Highlanders two in the match.
- Of Lipscomb's 10 shots in the first half, five were on target.
- Lipscomb's Olivia Doak posted a match-high seven shots, including six on target.
- Highlander goalkeeper Molly Saylor collected six saves in net.
- Melissa Gray collected her eighth shutout of the season as she had one save in the 90 minutes of play.
News & Notes
- Lipscomb advances to the ASUN Championship Final match for the fifth consecutive year and third time as the No. 2 seed during that time span.
- With the win, the Bisons improve their all-time record against the Highlanders to 6-0-0.
- Since 1999, the No. 2 seed has now advanced to the finals 13 times but has only come out victorious on three of the previous 12 occasions.
- NJIT played in the ASUN Championship Semifinal round for the second consecutive season.
No. 2 Lipscomb advances to battle No. 5 Kennesaw State in the ASUN Championship Final Saturday, at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. NJIT finishes the 2019 season with a 7-8-3 record.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.