Championship Bracket | Photo Gallery | Championship Page
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The top-seeded FGCU Eagles exploded for five goals on Sunday afternoon, capturing their fourth Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship title with a 5-0 win over No. 2 Lipscomb. With the victory, the Eagles head to their second-straight NCAA Tournament next weekend. Tabby Tindell collected Championship MVP honors as she tallied three points in the Final and six throughout the tournament with two goals and two assists.
FGCU (13-5-2) began the match as the aggressor and rode that momentum the entire 90 minutes. Lipscomb was able to stifle the Eagle offensive attack the majority of the first half before A-Sun Player of the Year Tindell began the scoring for the Eagles on an assist from Ali Rogers in the 33rd minute. Nikki Hudson added a second tally for the home team right before the half, giving FGCU a 2-0 lead at the 45 minute mark.
The Green and Blue continued to apply the pressure throughout the second half as Paulina Speckmaier shot a bullet from the right side of the box, making it 3-0 FGCU in the 50th minute. Senior and First Team All Conference member Ally Kasun joined the scoring party in the 60th minute, sneaking a ball past Anna Buhigas for the goal. Junior Sarah Lowicki added the final goal for FGCU in the 81st minute, sealing the 5-0 Eagle victory.
With a goal and an assist Sunday afternoon, Tindell now sits with 44 total points on the season. That mark is tied for 14th most all-time in the A-Sun. Bison goalkeeper Buhigas ends her junior season with 13 shutouts on the year, setting the single-season record in the A-Sun.
FGCU will learn its next opponent on Monday, Nov. 9th during the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament Selection Show streamed live on NCAA.com at 4:30 p.m ET.
2015 A-Sun Women's Soccer All-Tournament Team
- Tabby Tindell, FGCU - Championship MVP
- Brittany Brown, FGCU
- Emma Blackwell, FGCU
- Paulina Speckmaier, FGCU
- Jade Abarca, Lipscomb
- Niamh Rawlins, Lipscomb
- Alex Hickey, Lipscomb
- Mara Keomanivane, Stetson
- Makeshia Lucien, Stetson
- Ashley Poirier, Jacksonville
- Lauren Short, Jacksonville
FGCU vs. Lipscomb Championship Notes
- With today's win, FGCU remains unbeaten in its last 35 matches against A-Sun foes. The Eagles hold a 30-0-5 record during that stretch.
- Lipscomb ends its season with a record of 12-4-4, marking the best finish in program history. The Bisons will only lose two starters heading into next season.
- Tabby Tindell earns her second consecutive A-Sun Championship MVP and ends the regular season with 17 goals, most in the league and top-10 nationally.
- FGCU improves to 4-0-1 in A-Sun Championship Final matches, while Lipscomb falls to 0-1 after its first appearance.
- Eagle goalkeeper Brittany Brown collected her tenth shutout of the season and as a team FGCU has blanked its opponent in three-straight matches.