ATLANTA, Ga. - NJIT's Milena Bajic and Kenna Squire and FGCU's Ashli O'Neal earned ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly honors, announced by the conference office on Tuesday. Bajic earned the first Player of the Week award for NJIT this season, while O'Neal became just the third player in ASUN Women's Basketball history to earn three-straight honors. Squire became just the second Highlander recognized as the Freshman of the Week since the award started in the 2017-18 season.
Women's Basketball Player of the Week
Milena Bajic, NJIT
Senior | Forward | Podogorica, Montenegro
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; fourth all-time honor for NJIT, last Highlander to earn the honor was Kelly Guarino on Dec. 17, 2018
- Averaged 16.0 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game in a 2-0 week for the Highlanders, extending its win streak to three
- Recorded 17 points while grabbing 13 boards in the 76-73 win over Saint Peter's with eight of her points coming from the charity stripe
- Grabbed a career-best 14 rebounds in the 61-52 victory over Hartford while tallying 15 points; shot 50 percent from the field (4-of-8).
- After returning from an injury, she has registered a double-double in three out of four games played this season
Other Nominees: Ashli O'Neal, FGCU; Shalonda Neely, Jacksonville; Emily Lytle, Liberty; Emma Wallen, North Alabama; Day'Neshia Banks, Stetson.
Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week
Ashli O'Neal, FGCU
Senior| Guard | Wyoming, Ohio
- Third Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award; just the third all-time to earn three-straight Newcomer of the Week honors, first since Christin Mercer in 2015-16
- On the week, averaged 15.0 points, 2.0 rebounds and 0.5 assists and steals per game in wins over Houston and Florida Memorial playing in only 36 total minutes
- Shot 10-for-21 (.476) from the field, including an efficient 6-for-12 (.500) from three-point range
- Led the Eagles in scoring against Florida Memorial with 15 points shooting 60 percent from the field (6-of-10) and 60 percent from distance (3-of-5)
- She now has three games this season with at least 15 points this year
Other Nominee: Jada Perry, Jacksonville; Nenna Lindstrom, Liberty; Olivia Noah, North Alabama.
Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week
Kenna Squier, NJIT
Freshman | Guard | Branchville, N.J.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week award; second student-athlete to win the honor for NJIT as classmate Maria Fux earned the honor last week
- Averaged 14.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game as the Highlanders extend its win streak to three with wins vs. Saint Peter's and Hartford
- Notched a career-best 21 points, 10 rebounds in NJIT's 76-73 win over Saint Peter's shooting 66.7 percent from the field (8-of-12)
- Filled up the box score in the win at Hartford, netting eight points, six rebounds and four assists
- The Highlanders extend its win streak to three for the first time since the 2016-17 season
Other Nominees: Casey Collier, Lipscomb.
2019-20 Season Award Winners
Dec. 10th | Player: Milena Bajic, NJIT; Newcomer: Ashli O'Neal, FGCU; Freshman: Kenna Squier, NJIT.
Dec. 3rd | Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU; Newcomer: Ashli O'Neal, FGCU; Freshman: Maria Fux, NJIT.
Nov. 26th | Player: Janesha Green, North Florida; Newcomer: Ashli O'Neal, FGCU; Freshman: Jalyn Holcomb, Lipscomb.
Nov. 19th | Newcomer: Destiny Marshall, Jacksonville; Freshman: Casey Collier, Lipscomb.
Nov. 12th | Player: Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State; Newcomer: Olivia Noah, North Alabama; Freshman: Jaida Bond, North Alabama.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.