ATLANTA, Ga. - North Alabama's Olivia Noah and Jaida Bond, as well as Alexis Poole of Kennesaw State, were at the top of their game in season debuts, playing their way to being selected as the first ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners of the 2019-20 season, announced by the conference office on Tuesday. Poole was named Player of the Week, Noah was tabbed Newcomer of the Week while her teammate Bond was selected as the Freshman of the Week.
Women's Basketball Player of the Week
Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State
Junior | Forward | Ellenwood, Ga.
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week honor; 15th for Kennesaw State and second consecutive season they earned the first honor of the year (Kamiayh Street - Nov. 12, 2018)
- Started the season with 18 points, shooting 72.7 (8-of-11) from the field against SEC foe Georgia
- Recorded her first double-double of the season in the Owls home opener against Samford with 20 points and 11 rebounds
- Shot 77.8 (7-of-9) from the field while adding an assist, steal and block in the 60-55 win over Samford
- The double-double marked her 20th of her career and her ninth time tallying 20 points or more
Other Nominees: Davion Wingate, FGCU; Destiny Marshall, Jacksonville; Bridgette Rettstatt, Liberty; Ivy Wallen, North Alabama; Adrienne Jackson, North Florida; Day'Neshia Banks, Stetson.
Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week
Olivia Noah, North Alabama
Junior| Forward | Cypress, Texas
- First Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award; first all-time for North Alabama
- For the week, averaged 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds per game while shooting 52.9 percent (15-of-17) from the field and 46.2 percent (6-of-13) from downtown
- Scored 12 points, in her first game with the Lions, in the 128-26 season opening win against Virginia-Lynchburg
- Shot 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from the field, including 60 percent (3-of-5) from beyond the arch
- Recorded her second double-digit performance of the week against Mississippi Valley State, totalling 15 points
Other Nominees: Anja Marinkovic, FGCU; Jada Perry, Jacksonville; Gillian Piccolino, Kennesaw State; Dorie Harrison, Lipscomb; Alexis Gordon, North Florida; Tonysha Curry, Stetson.
Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week
Jaida Bond, North Alabama
Freshman | Guard | Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- First Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award; first for North Alabama and just the 32nd all-time honoree since the award started in the 2017-18 season
- Averaged 11.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and two assists per game while shooting 52.9 percent (9-of-17) from the field
- Scored 18 points in her North Alabama debut as they defeated Virginia-Lynchburg in the season opener by 102 points
- Shot 42.9 percent (3-of-7) from behind the arch against Virginia-Lynchburg and 63.6 percent (7-of-11) from the field
- Added five points and three rebounds in the win over Mississippi Valley State
Other Nominees: Da'Nasia Shaw, Jacksonville; Gillian Piccolino, Kennesaw State; Jalyn Holcomb, Lipscomb; Kimia Carter, Stetson.
2019-20 Season Award Winners
Nov. 12th | Player: Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State; Newcomer: Olivia Noah, North Alabama; Freshman: Jaida Bond, North Alabama.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.