ATLANTA, Ga. - Liberty's Felix Kandie and Joe Spitzer were named the ASUN Conference Men's Cross Country Runner of the Week and Freshman of the Week, respectively, announced Wednesday by the league office. Kandie earned the award for the third time this season while Spitzer claimed the first of his career.
Men's Cross Country Runners of the Week
Felix Kandie, Liberty
Sophomore | Eldoret, Kenya
- Third Career Runner of the Week honor; third this season for Liberty
- Paced the Flames by finishing third of 161 runners at Friday's Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational 8K
- Marked the best individual finish ever by a Liberty runner at the meet; led the team to a seventh-place finish
- Beat the top runner from host Virginia who is ranked No. 17 nationally; his time of 24:09.2 set new personal best
- Finished before runners from regionally ranked Michigan State (No. 6, Great Lakes Region), Yale (No. 6, Northeast Region) and Charlotte (No. 7, Southeast Region)
Other Nominee: Nathan Jubran, North Florida.
Men's Cross Country Freshman of the Week
Joe Spitzer, Liberty
Freshman | Versailles, Ohio
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; first-ever for Liberty
- Came in 41st of 161 runners during Friday's Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational
- Finished third on the team and eighth among freshmen in the race; his 8K time of 25:06.8 established a new personal best
- Beat runners from regionally ranked Michigan State (No. 6, Great Lakes Region), Yale (No. 6, Northeast Region) and Charlotte (No. 7, Southeast Region)
- On Oct. 19th, the Flames compete at the NCAA Division I Pre-National Invitational in Terre Haute, Ind.
2019 Season Award Winners
Oct. 2nd | Runner: Felix Kandie, Liberty Freshman: Joe Spitzer, Liberty
Sept. 25th | Runner: Peyton Ewoldt, North Alabama; Freshman: Brandon Lee, North Alabama
Sept. 18th | Runners: Nathan Jubran, North Florida & Brent Leber, Lipscomb; Freshman: Aidan O'Gorman, North Florida
Sept. 11th | Runners: Peyton Ewoldt, North Alabama & Felix Kandie, Liberty; Freshman: Brandon Lee, North Alabama
Sept. 4th | Runner: Felix Kandie, Liberty; Freshman: Joey Tolman, Stetson
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNXCTF