SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The No. 2 seed North Florida Ospreys coasted to a 4-0 victory on Saturday afternoon, punching a ticket to their fifth-consecutive Atlantic Sun Men's Tennis Championship Final. UNF will battle No. 4 USC Upstate for the title and a chance to compete in the NCAA Tournament.
The Ospreys recorded a quick 1-0 lead over the upset-minded Owls after the doubles point, as first the duo of Jack Findel-Hawkins and Yannick Zuern defeated Manuel Castellanos and Simon Pritchard by a score of 6-3, followed by Julian Bradley and Sahil Deshmukh recording their own victory by the same score.
Singles action saw much of the same, as North Florida grabbed first set wins on four of the six courts. Findel-Hawkins raced out to a 6-0 lead over Pritchard, before the KSU first man stormed back to take the second frame by a score of 6-4. It wouldn't be enough for the Owls, however as the Ospreys dominated on courts two through four, coasting to 6-0 wins in the second set of each to clinch the 4-0 victory for UNF.
KSU finishes the season with a record of 10-10 after winning their first ever match in an A-Sun Championship on Friday. North Florida improves to 10-11 and will face No. 4 USC Upstate in the title match on Sunday at 10 a.m.
A-Sun Championship Semifinal Results
No. 2 North Florida vs. No. 6 Kennesaw State
Apr 23, 2015 at Spartanburg, S.C.
(USC Upstate Tennis Complex)
No. 2 North Florida 4, No. 6 Kennesaw State 0
1. Jack Findel-Hawkins (UNF) vs. Simon Pritchard (KSU) 6-0, 4-6 DNF
2. Lasse Muscheites (UNF) def. Manuel Castellanos (KSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Lucas De Torres Curth (KSU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Julian Bradley (UNF) def. David Durham (KSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Sam Slade (KSU) vs. Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) 6-4, 3-1 DNF
6. Drew Wendel (KSU) vs. Jonathan Deautriell (UNF) 6-4, 5-3 DNF
1. Jack Findel-Hawkins/Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Manuel Castellanos/Simon Pritchard (KSU) 6-3
2. Lasse Muscheites/Zach Goldberg (UNF) vs. David Durham/Drew Wendel (KSU) 5-4 DNF
3. Julian Bradley/Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. Sam Slade/Jorge Wilton (KSU) 6-3
No. 2 North Florida
No. 6 Kennesaw State
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,3,2)