ATLANTA, Ga. - The 2019 ASUN Conference Men's Soccer Champions, the NJIT Highlanders begin their journey in the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 21, with a matchup at No. 21 Providence. Scheduled for a 7 PM ET kick-off, the match will air live on the Big EAST Network.
Before the match commences, take a look at some notes for the contest on the Highlanders and their upcoming opponent who they are facing for the first time in program history. The winner of the match between the Highlanders and Friars advances to the Second Round on Nov. 24, to face No. 15 Penn State.
2019 NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament First Round
NJIT at No. 21 Providence | Thursday, November 21; 7 PM ET
Last Match: First all-time meeting
NJIT vs. Providence Match Notes
- NJIT and Providence have both played Seton Hall and Sacred Heart this season; The Friars won both, while the Highlanders defeated the Pioneers but fell to the Pirates.
- The Highlanders (10-4-4) earned the ASUN's automatic bid while the Friars (14-6-0) received an at-large berth after falling to No. 3 Georgetown in the Big EAST Finals.
- Providence is competing in its 10th NCAA Tournament while NJIT is making its first appearance; it is also the first all-time meeting between the two programs.
- The 10 wins are the most for NJIT in the Division I era since the 2012 season when the Highlanders finished 10-9-0.
- Heading into the NCAA Tournament, NJIT is tied for sixth in the NCAA for total goals with 44, while ASUN Player of the Year Rene White sits tied for first with three other players at 17.
- The Highlanders enter national postseason tournament play riding a five-match winning streak and are 8-1-1 in its last 10 with four of those being shutouts.
- NJIT has been ranked in the top-10 of the United Soccer Coaches Atlantic Region poll all season, with its highest ranking, week two at the No. 2 spot. In week 12, NJIT ranks fifth out of 10 teams.
- The Highlanders are looking to earn the ASUN's 17th advancement in the NCAA Tournament and 14th victory (3 of those were draws and decided in PKs); NJIT would become the fourth current ASUN team to advance with a win.
- In the last three NCAA Tournaments, ASUN squads have advanced at least one round in two of those years; Lipscomb advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2018 while FGCU made a Second Round appearance in 2016.
- The Friars are currently ranked No. 14 in the NCAA RPI while the Highlanders enter the match ranked No. 108.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.