ATLANTA, Ga. - NJIT's Rene White was named the ASUN Conference Men's Soccer Player of the Week, while FGCU's Connor Gavigan collected the Defensive Player of the Week award, announced Monday by the conference office. White recorded a hat trick as the Highlanders clinched their first-ever ASUN Conference Regular Season title. The Eagles locked up the No. 2 seed and first round bye with their 4-2 win at Stetson. This week's awards mark the final ones for the 2019 season.
Men's Soccer Player of the Week
Rene White, NJIT
Junior | Forward | Bloomfield, N.J.
- Fifth Career ASUN Player of the Week honor and fourth this season; sixth of the season for NJIT
- Recorded a hat trick in NJIT's 5-0 shutout against Jacksonville to clinch its first-ever ASUN Regular Season title
- Raised his season total to 16 goals which ties a program single-season record and ranks second in the nation
- Scored the game-winning goal via a penalty kick in the 13th minute
- Added goals in the 23rd and 47th minutes to give him the second hat trick of his career
Other Nominees: Shak Adams, FGCU; Miguel DeLeon Jr., North Florida.
Men's Soccer Defensive Player of the Week
Connor Gavigan, FGCU
Junior | Goalkeeper | Aurora, Colo.
- First Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week award; first of the season for FGCU
- Collected five saves in the 4-2 win on the road at Stetson to secure the No. 2 seed in the ASUN Championship
- On the year, Gavigan ranks fourth in the conference with a 1.49 GAA
- FGCU qualified for its ninth consecutive ASUN Championship and will be the No. 2 seed for the fourth straight season
- Has allowed only four goals in his last four contests, all starts
Other Nominees: Samuel Reisgys, NJIT.
2019 Season Award Winners
Nov. 4th | Player: Rene White, NJIT; Defensive Player: Connor Gavigan, FGCU
Oct. 28th | Player: Gerald Cubero, NJIT; Defensive Player: Luke Wilson, Lipscomb
Oct. 21st | Player: O'Vonte Mullings, FGCU; Defensive Player: LJ Estes, North Florida
Oct. 14th | Player: O'Vonte Mullings, FGCU; Defensive Player: Samuel Reisgys, NJIT
Oct. 7th | Player: Rene White, NJIT; Defensive Player: Adam Everett, North Florida
Sept. 30th | Player: Thomas Radon, NJIT; Defensive Player: Padraic Gilley, North Florida
Sept. 23rd | Player: Torian Went, North Florida; Defensive Player: Ian McCauley, Stetson
Sept. 16th | Players: Connar Lufkin, Jacksonville/Rene White, NJIT; Defensive Player: Samuel Reisgys, NJIT
Sept. 9th | Player: Rene White, NJIT; Defensive Players: Noah Gulden, Lipscomb/Samuel Reisgys, NJIT
Sept. 3rd | Player: Ryan Medilah, FGCU; Defensive Player: Lute Lillo-Portero, Stetson
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.