No. 4 seed Liberty showcased a six-shot improvement on Tuesday, moving the Flames into fourth place heading into tomorrow's final round at the NCAA Athens Regional.
Thanks to a 3-under par 68 by Ervin Chang and a 2-under par 69 by Kieran Vincent, Liberty finishes Day 2 of the regional with a combined 14-over par 582 (294-288) on the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 71, 7,253 yards).
The Flames carded a 4-over par 288 on the home course of the Georgia Bulldogs, which was the fourth-best round on Tuesday in the 13-team field.
Liberty holds a slim three-shot edge over four teams who are tied for fifth place with a 17-over par 585.
The Flames will return to the course for tomorrow's third and final round and will be sent off the No. 10 tee starting at 8 a.m., along with Tennessee and SMU.
Round Recap – Liberty's Starting Five:
• Kieran Vincent: T7 1-under par 141 (72-69)
• No. 31 Ervin Chang: T13 E par 142 (74-68)
• No. 53 Gabe Lench: T28 4-over par 146 (73-73)
• Jonathan Yaun: T57 11-over par 153 (75-78)
• Alexandre Fuchs: T57 11-over par 153 (75-78)
• The top five teams at the end of play on Wednesday from each of the six NCAA Regionals will advance to the 2019 NCAA Men's Golf National Championship, held at The Blessings Golf Course in Fayetteville, Ark., May 24-29.
• Tournament host and No. 3 seed Georgia continues to use its home course as an advantage and leads the field with a 4-under par 564 (284-280).
• No. 2 seed Duke had the best round of the day with an 8-under par 276, moving the Blue Devils into second place overall with a 3-under par 565 (289-276).
• No. 1 seed Vanderbilt is 12 shots clear of fourth-place Liberty with a 2-over par 570 (286-284).
• Six teams sit within six shots of Liberty heading into the final round, including four teams currently three shots back with a 17-over par 585 (No. 6 seed Tennessee, No. 9 seed Nevada, No. 10 seed SMU and No. 11 seed Memphis).
• No. 7 seed Campbell, Liberty's former Big South foe, stands in ninth place with a 19-over par 587 (300-287).
• A pair of Bulldogs sit atop the 75-man individual leaderboard, as Georgia's Spencer Ralston (69-69) and Davis Thompson (69-69) lead the field with a 4-under par 138.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
• Kieran Vincent is one of 13 players who is currently under par and is tied for seventh place overall with a 1-under par 141 (72-69).
• Vincent has done a majority of his work on the par-3 and par-5 holes during the Regional, as he is tied for first in the field in par-5 scoring (-4/4.33 average) and ranks third in par-3 scoring (-1/2.88 average).
• Ervin Chang, who is individually ranked No. 31 in the country, is one shot back and is tied for 13th place with an even par 142 (74-68).
• Chang tied for the low round of the day on Tuesday, carding a 4-under par 68, his ninth sub-70 round of the season and the 21st of his career at Liberty.
• Gabe Lench, who is ranked No. 53 in the country, carded a 2-over par 73 for the second day in a row and is tied for 28th place with an overall 4-over par 146 (73-73).
• Alexandre Fuchs and Jonathan Yaun fired matching scores for the second consecutive round and they are both tied for 57th place with an 11-over par 153 (75-78).
• University of Georgia Golf Course (Athens, Ga.)
• Par 71, 7,253 yards
Following the Flames at NCAA Athens Regional:
• Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
• Twitter @LibertyGolf
• Instagram @LibertyGolf
• Round 3 Tee Time: Wednesday at 8:00 a.m./EST (No. 10 tee)