ATLANTA, Ga. - Three ASUN Conference Men's Basketball teams earned victories on Sunday as North Alabama and Lipscomb won home matchups while Liberty triumphed on the road. The Flames pushed their record to 11-0 to remain undefeated this season.
Jamari Blackmon and James Anderson both made five three-pointers in UNA's first matchup against Birmingham-Southern in program history. Blackmon led all scorers with 19 points as the Lions improved to 5-5 on the season. Ahsan Asadullah led the Bisons with 21 points, eight assists and six rebounds as Lipscomb downed Trevecca Nazarene in Nashville. The Bisons used a late 12-0 run to pull ahead 89-64 with 6:52 remaining in the second half. Liberty's defense came up big in the final minutes of the game against Grand Canyon to secure the win. It was a close matchup between the two squads that featured 20 ties and 30 lead changes.
Today's Top ASUN Conference Performances
• Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb: 21 Points (10-15 FGs), 8 Assists, 6 Rebounds
• Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama: 19 Points (7-11 FGs, 5-9 3FGs), 3 Assists, 3 Rebounds
• Caleb Homesley, Liberty: 17 Points, 5 Rebounds
What You Need to Know from Today's Wins
• North Alabama 78, Birmingham-Southern 50
- UNA held Birmingham-Southern to 22.58 percent shooting in the second half and 31.7 percent for the game.
- The Lions led 70-48 with seven minutes left in the game and held BSC to only one field goal for the remainder of regulation.
- The win gives UNA a 5-5 record on the year and keeps the Lions undefeated at Flowers Hall.
• Lipscomb 96, Trevecca Nazarene 72
- Ahsan Asadullah scored a season-high 21 points and he matched the team's season-high assist total in a game with eight.
- ASUN Newcomer of the Week KJ Johnson matched Asadullah with 21 points; this was his third 20-point game of the season.
- Two other Bisons reached double figures in scoring as Michael Buckland and Greg Jones both added 15 points to Lipscomb's total.
• Liberty 70, Grand Canyon 61
- The Flames held GCU to just 23.8 percent shooting from behind the three-point line; Liberty shot 42.1 percent (8-19).
- Four Liberty players scored in double-digits: Caleb Homesley (17), Myo Baxter-Bell (15), Elijah Cuffee (11), Darius McGhee (10).
- Cuffee went 3-5 from three-point range while McGhee shot 2-3 from behind the arc and Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz went 2-5.
Wednesday, Dec. 11
NJIT vs. UMass Lowell - 7 PM (ESPN+)
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNMBB