LYNCHBURG, Va. - Liberty closed out its opening week with a 66-55 win over Maryland Eastern Shore behind an impressive double-double performance from Scottie James. The Flames are now 2-0 for the third straight season while UMES falls to 0-2.
Scottie James could not be stopped to start the game as the big man scored Liberty's first 14 points of the contest, while also grabbing seven rebounds in the first six minutes of the game. James was able to provide the Flames with a lead and the duo of James (22 points) and Darius McGhee (19 points) would combine for 41 of Liberty's 66 points to lead the Flames to another victory at the Vines Center.
Key Stats & Notes
- Scottie James scored Liberty's first 14 points of the game.
- This is the second time in his career that James has scored the first 10 points in a game for Liberty (Feb. 15, 2018 at UNC Asheville).
- This is the fifth time in James' career where he has grabbed 15 rebounds or more in a game.
- James recorded a game-high 22 points and 16 rebounds for his 22nd career double-double.
- Liberty forced 13 turnovers, which led to 22 points for the Flames.
- The Flames outscored UMES 36-28 inside the paint.
- Liberty shot 52 percent (26-50) for the game while holding UMES to 43 percent (21-49).
- Darius McGhee was second for the Flames in scoring with 19 points, including a game-high five three-pointers.
- Caleb Homesley recorded a game-high six assists.
- Liberty's bench was outscored by Maryland Eastern Shore's bench, 40-12.
Thoughts from Head Coach Ritchie McKay
"I am a little disappointed. I felt like the visiting team played harder than we did and I feel like we are a lot better than that effort this afternoon. I get it, I did it long enough to know that when you come off a home opener especially against a quality opponent like Radford and you play in front of 7,800 and everyone is talking positively about you, I get it. You can get seduced into thinking you can show up and give the same effort or same level of execution because you did it the day before, the game before or the season before but that is not reality. Reality is the moment and for us I think we need to own our moment."
The Flames will play their third game in five days as they close out their three-game homestand on Tuesday, Nov. 12, when they host South Carolina State. The game is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN+.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNMBB