ATLANTA, Ga. - After big weekends to help their teams to series wins in conference play, Lipscomb's Tevin Symonette and Jacksonville's AJ Jones were honored as ASUN Conference Baseball weekly winners, announced by the league office on Monday.
Symonette earned his first career Player of the week honor after leading Lipscomb to a series sweep vs. defending ASUN Champion Stetson. Hitting a homer in each of the three games, the senior outfielder drove in a total of four runs on the weekend as the Bisons won a trio of games by two runs or less. Adding double-digit putouts in the field as well, the native of the Bahamas added a pair of Web Gem catches in left field to help the Bisons' pitching staff. With his work in helping Lipscomb to a series sweep, the Bisons now sit at 8-7 in the ASUN and have an overall record of 24-19.
Jones wins his second Pitcher of the Week honor this season after a dominant start vs. Liberty who entered the weekend in a tie for first place in the conference standings. Working a series-high seven innings, the righty limited Liberty to just one run while stranding nine runners throughout his time on the mound. Punching out four hitters at the plate, Jones picked up his sixth win of the season to move into a tie for second place in the ASUN. With the series victory, Jacksonville sits at 9-9 in conference play and seventh in the overall standings.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - April 29th
Senior | Outfielder | Freeport, Bahamas
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first for Lipscomb this season
- Hit .500 with three home runs and four RBIs in a weekend sweep of Stetson
- Homered in three-straight games to propel Lipscomb to a trio of wins by two runs or less
- His solo homer on Sunday proved to be the difference in a 3-2 final for Lipscomb
- Now has five homers and 24 runs driven in on the season; 11 stolen bases as well to rank fourth in the league
Other Nominees: Joe Kinker, FGCU; John Cassala, Jacksonville; Justin Russell, Kennesaw State; Gray Betts, Liberty; Chris Berry, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - April 29th
AJ Jones, Jacksonville
Junior | Pitcher | Sarasota, Fla. | Business
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; third for the Dolphins this season
- Picked up the win vs. Liberty, allowing just one run over seven innings pitched
- The win marked Jones' sixth of the season, now leading Jacksonville and second in the ASUN
- Stranded nine runners on base vs. the Flames, striking out four hitters in his seven innings of work
- Helped JU to a 2-1 series win vs. then-first place Liberty, improving the Dolphins' ASUN record to 9-9
Other Nominees: Hunter McGarry, FGCU; Robbie Knox, Lipscomb; Nick Marchese, North Florida.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
April 29th - Player: Tevin Symonette, Lipscomb | Pitcher: A.J. Jones, Jacksonville
April 22nd - Players: Wes Weeks, North Florida & Eric Foggo, Stetson | Pitcher: Bryant Claunch, North Alabama
April 15th - Players: Eric Gonzalez, FGCU & Reid Homan, North Alabama | Pitcher: Brad Deppermann, North Florida
April 8th - Player: Jorge Arenas, Stetson | Co-Pitchers: Nick Love, Jacksonville & Daniel Paret, Stetson
April 1st - Player: Brandon Rohrer, Liberty | Pitcher: Chris Gonzalez, Stetson
March 25th - Player: Jonathan Embry, Liberty | Pitcher: AJ Jones, Jacksonville
March 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
March 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
March 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida