ATLANTA, Ga. - Jacksonville's Nick Love and the Stetson pair of Jorge Arenas and Daniel Paret helped their teams to big wins throughout the last week of action and have been named ASUN Conference Baseball weekly award winners, announced by the league offices on Monday.
Arenas takes home is first ASUN Player of the Week honors this season, helping Stetson to a series win at home vs. NJIT. The junior shortstop hit .500 in three games vs. the Highlanders, playing a crucial part in both wins. The Florida native swayed the game twice in the opening contest of the series, hitting a solo home run to give Stetson a lead in the fifth and then driving an RBI single to knot the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh inning. As part of a doubleheader on Sunday, Arenas single-handedly won the first game for his team, sending out his second home run of the series in the sixth inning to mark the lone run scored between both teams in the contest.
Daniel Paret picks up his first career Pitcher of the Week honor after tossing eight shutout innings vs. NJIT to pick up his first-career victory. The freshman put on a career-best outing, working eight frames of shutout ball, picking up 12 strikeouts along the way to work his way around the NJIT lineup. The eight innings and 12 strikeouts both established new highs for the freshman from Miami Lakes and the lefty now leads the Hatters with 58 strikeouts this season across 43.1 innings of work.
Love claims his second Pitcher of the Week honor this season as the freshman reliever worked 4.2 scoreless innings last week, picking up a pair of wins along the way. The righty started his week with two innings against Florida State, helping the Dolphins to their first win over the Seminoles in Tallahassee since 2016. Love struck out three hitters in his time on the mound, setting all of them down by way of looking at called third strikes. The Florida native then added 2.2 innings against arch-rival North Florida in the second game of the River City Rumble series, helping JU to a comeback victory. Love added three more strikeouts to his weekly total and kept UNF off the board in an eventual 10-8 victory.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - April 8th
Jorge Arenas, Stetson
Junior | Shortstop | Miami Shores, Fla. | Sport Business
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first for Stetson this season
- Helped guide Stetson to a series victory vs. NJIT, the Hatters' second-straight ASUN series win
- Hit .500 in conference play, adding a double and two home runs vs. the Highlanders
- Tied the score in game one of the series and belted the game-winning homer in a 1-0 win in game two
- Leads the Hatters in AVG (.323), doubles (8), home runs (3) and RBIs (23)
Other Nominees: Alex Brait, FGCU; Jacob Southern, Jacksonville; Terence Norman, Kennesaw State; Gray Betts, Liberty; Wes Weeks, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - April 8th
Nick Love, Jacksonville
Freshman | Pitcher | Callahan, Fla. | Kinesiology
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; third for Jacksonville this season
- Went 2-0 in relief work for Jacksonville this week, grabbing wins vs. Florida State and North Florida
- Tossed two shutout innings vs. Florida State while striking out three batters, all looking
- Added 2.2 innings of relief vs. North Florida, holding the Ospreys off the board while striking out three
- Now holds 29 strikeouts on the season while sporting a 1.27 ERA in 13 appearances on the mound
Daniel Paret, Stetson
Freshman | Pitcher | Miami Lakes, Fla. | Sport Business
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second-straight honor for Stetson
- Posted a victory vs. NJIT to give Stetson its second-straight series win in ASUN play
- Threw a career-high eight innings of work, holding NJIT off the score board in a 1-0 victory
- Punched out 12 NJIT hitters, breaking his previous career-high of 11 set earlier this season
- Leads Stetson with 58 strikeouts this season across 43.1 innings of work
Other Nominees: Brenden Heiss, FGCU; Bryant Claunch, North Alabama; Brandon Reitz, North Florida.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
April 8th - Player: Jorge Arenas, Stetson | Co-Pitchers: Nick Love, Jacksonville & Daniel Paret, Stetson
April 1st - Player: Brandon Rohrer, Liberty | Pitcher: Chris Gonzalez, Stetson
March 25th - Player: Jonathan Embry, Liberty | Pitcher: AJ Jones, Jacksonville
March 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
March 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
March 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida