ATLANTA, Ga. - Liberty's Jonathan Embry and Jacksonville's AJ Jones helped their teams to opening-series wins in conference play and have been named ASUN Conference Baseball weekly award winners, announced by the league offices on Monday.
Embry earns his first career Player of the Week honor after singlehandedly leading Liberty to victory vs. #8 North Carolina in midweek action. The junior utility belted a two-run home run vs. the Tar Heels, supplying the only offense in the contest in a 2-0 final. The Kentucky native followed that performance with four more RBIs in a three-game set vs. NJIT as Liberty began ASUN play for the first time in program history. Playing at catcher during the series, Embry threw out half of the runners attempting to steal on him and made 37 put outs to help the Flames win the series two games to one.
Jones takes home his first Pitcher of the Week award after a masterful performance vs. Lipscomb to help Jacksonville complete a three-game sweep at home to open conference action. The junior righty fired 8.2 innings of work, allowing just one unearned run while limiting the Bisons to two base knocks. Recording a dominant 10:1 strikeout to walk ratio, Jones sat down 24-straight Lipscomb batters at one point on the way to his fourth win of the season and first-ever in ASUN action.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - March 25th
Jonathan Embry, Liberty
Junior | Utility | Louisville, Ky. | Aviation
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; second-straight for Liberty
- Hit .438 over a four-game stretch for the Flames last week, going 7-16 from the plate
- Smacked a game-winning two-run homer vs. #8 North Carolina in Liberty's 2-0 win
- Drove in four runs during a three-game set with NJIT including three in his first-ever ASUN contest
- Threw out 50% of runners attempting to steal on him during the week, adding 37 put outs as well
Other Nominees: Elijah Eusebio, FGCU; Angel Camacho, Jacksonville; Garrett Hodges, Kennesaw State; Blake Marabell, North Florida; Jorge Arenas, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - March 25th
AJ Jones, Jacksonville
Junior | Pitcher | Sarasota, Fla. | Business
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second for Jacksonville this season
- Picked up the win vs. Lipscomb to give Jacksonville an ASUN opening series sweep
- Fired 8.2 innings of dominant ball, allowing one unearned run on just two hits
- Recorded 10 strikeouts while walking just one batter from Lipscomb on the day
- Sat down 24-straight Lipscomb hitters during the game en route to his fourth victory on the year
Other Nominees: Mason Studstill, FGCU; Nathan Dupree, Kennesaw State; Andrew McInvale, Liberty; Daniel Paret, Stetson.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
Mar. 25th - Player: Jonathan Embry, Liberty | Pitcher: AJ Jones, Jacksonville
Mar. 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
Mar. 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
Mar. 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida