JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - North Florida drew nine walks, USF uncorked four wild pitches and a quartet of Osprey arms fanned 10 as UNF (14-9) dispatched the visiting Bulls, 7-2, Tuesday night from Harmon Stadium.
UNF 7, USF 2
Pitchers of Record
Win: Hunter Bowling (1-0)
Loss: Dylan Burns (0-1)
USF | 2 R, 8 H, E, 11 LOB
UNF | 7 R, 8 H, 0 E, 10 LOB
Behind the Line Score
- UNF knocked USF starter Dylan Burns out of the game after only recording one out.
- Wes Weeks coaxed a walk, Jay Prather singled to center and Tanner Murphy tagged an RBI double inside the third base bag, putting UNF ahead, 1-0. Catcher Austin Hurwitz drew a walk to load the bases for Chris Berry. Berry rolled a grounder to USF's second baseman Jordan Santos, although the Bulls could only get Hurwitz at second. Prather scored on the groundout and Murphy took an extra 90 feet, scoring on an errant throw from USF shortstop, Alex Bello.
- Things got away from USF (11-8) pitchers in the fourth. Weeks worked another walk, stole second and Murphy legged out an infield single. Hurwitz took a curveball off his foot, loading the bases for Berry for the second time. The senior worked his 101st career walk, scoring Weeks. Tanner Maystood in and saw two pitches go to the screen, putting the Ospreys ahead, 6-0.
- Trace Norkus fanned five through four innings before being replaced by Hunter Bowling atop the fifth.
- USF scored one in the sixth. Santos worked a walk, Kyle Phillips legged out a tapper into no-man's land along the first base line, and Joe Genord provided his own free pass. Bowling fanned Austin Genord before Jake Sullivan plated one with a sac fly to center. Bowling got out of the jam with another punch out.
- Alex Bello reached on a fielder's choice and Gerrett Zech doubled down the left-field line. Santos scored Bello with a groundout to Prather at second, cutting it to 6-2.
- More wild pitch offense came in the eight. Prather walked and used two wild pitches and a productive out from Murphy to make it 7-2.
- Miller spun another scoreless frame to close out the Bulls in the ninth.
- Murphy | 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI, 2B
- Prather | 3-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Norkus | 4.0 IP, 5 K, BB, 2 H
- Phillips | 2-for-5
- Bodrato | 2-for-5
- Zech | 2-for-4, 2 2B
- Chris Berry is just 12 walks shy of becoming UNF's all-time leader in Division I history in free passes after two more base on balls.
- USF leads the all-time series, 10-9.
- UNF picks up its first win against the Bulls since April 12, 2016.
- The Ospreys are 5-1 against teams from Florida this year.
- North Florida is 11-6 at home.
- Bowling picked up his first UNF victory.
- The Ospreys knocked out a pitcher after 0.1 for the second time this year.
- Miller hasn't allowed an earned run through 18.2 innings.
- The Bulls sent seven pitchers to the mound.
North Florida opens ASUN play at home this weekend with a three-game series against FGCU.