ATLANTA, Ga. - Liberty's Logan Mathieu and North Florida's Nick Marchese were critical in non-conference victories for their teams and have been named ASUN Conference Baseball weekly award winners, announced by the league offices on Monday.
A sophomore first baseman, Mathieu was a force at the plate for the Flames last week on his way to a .636 average over three games. The Pennsylvania native collected five extra-base hits from the left side of the batter's box, knocking four doubles and sending out one big fly. The week started with Mathieu going 3-3 with a pair of doubles vs. in-state foe Virginia to help lead Liberty to a statement 14-5 victory. The sophomore then helped the Flames to a 1-1 split with Hofstra in his two games played in the series, including hitting his second homer of the year.
Marchese was brilliant on the mound as both a starter and reliever for North Florida, picking up a pair of victories in his two appearances on the mound. In his start vs. Bethune-Cookman, the senior right-hander went six innings while allowing just one unearned run and striking out a half-dozen batters. He followed that performance with 5.1 innings of relief work vs. Columbia, again holding his opposition to just one run while adding four more strikeouts to his ledger. On the year, Marchese now has a 3-0 record while striking out 20 hitters in 25 innings of work.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - March 18th
Logan Mathieu, Liberty
Sophomore | First Baseman | Howard, Pa. | Pychology
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first weekly honor for Liberty in program history
- Hit .636 (7-11) in three games for the Flames, collecting five total extra-base hits
- Went 3-3 with two RBIs and a pair of doubles in Liberty's victory vs. Virginia
- Belted a home run and hit a pair of doubles in a two-game slate vs. Hofstra
- Has helped lead Liberty to an ASUN-best 14-5 record on the season
Other Nominees: Alex Brait, FGCU; John Cassala, Jacksonville; Jake Franklin, Kennesaw State; Cade Sorrells, Lipscomb; Tanner Clark, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - March 18th
Nick Marchese, North Florida
Senior | Pitcher | Plantation, Fla. | Communications
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second for North Florida this season
- Picked up a pair of victories, with one each coming as a starter and reliever for the Ospreys
- Went six innings while allowing one unearned run in a victory vs. Bethune-Cookman
- Added 5.1 innings of relief work vs. Columbia, allowing one run in an 11-4 final
- Posted a 5:1 strikeout to walk ratio, totaling 10 punchouts while allowing only two free passes
Other Nominees: Mason Studstill, FGCU; Brooks Buckler, Kennesaw State; Andrew McInvale, Liberty; Scott Elgin, Lipscomb.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
Mar. 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
Mar. 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
Mar. 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida