ATLANTA, Ga. - Lipscomb's Tyler Guilfoil and North Florida's Tanner Murphy came up big in the second weekend of the regular season and have been named ASUN Conference Baseball weekly award winners, announced by the league offices on Monday.
Murphy takes home his first career Player of the Week honors after helping North Florida to a 3-2 week including a win at #3 Florida in midweek action. The junior Preseason All-Conference Team selection belted a solo homer in the contest with the Gators, cementing a lead that turned into a 7-1 victory, the first for UNF vs. Florida since 2013. Murphy continued his play throughout the week, building a five-game winning streak to hit .364 overall for the week. The center fielder stole four bases as well to help fuel the Ospreys' offense as the team scored a combined 29 runs to post a 3-2 record on the week.
In the first action of his career, Guilfoil earns Pitcher of the Week honors for posting a win and a save for the Bisons. The Lexington, Ky. native took the mound for his first career start vs. Western Kentucky, throwing five innings of one-hit ball while striking out nine batters. Picking up the victory in that contest, Guilfoil returned to the mound with four innings of relief work against Central Michigan to lock down a Lipscomb victory to close out the weekend. The righty added six K's to his ledger, allowing just one more hit and one run in the rare four-inning save. The first Bisons pitcher to win the weekly honor since 2017, the freshman finished the week with a 1.00 ERA, 15.0 K/9 and an opponent's average of just .071.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Feb. 25th
Tanner Murphy, North Florida
Junior | Outfielder | St. Augustine, Fla. | Finance and Financial Planning
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first for UNF this season
- Hit .364 over five games, building a five-game hitting streak along the way
- Sent out a pair of homers and drove in five RBIs in a 3-2 week for North Florida
- Swiped four stolen bases while stealing one in four-straight games
- Hit a home run and helped UNF top #3 Florida for the first time since 2013
Other Nominees: Eric Gonzalez, FGCU; Dakota Julylia, Jacksonville; Chris Bashlor, Lipscomb; Matt Cocciadiferro, NJIT; Jonathan Meola, Stetson
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - Feb. 25th
Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Freshman | Pitcher | Lexington, Ky. | Mechanical Engineering
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; first for Lipscomb since 2017
- Posted a win in his first career start vs. Western Kentucky; added first save vs. Western Michigan
- Combined for 15 strikeouts in nine innings of work; struck out nine in start vs. WKU
- Allowed just one run in four innings of relief work vs. Central Michigan to earn the save
- Over his nine innings of work, allowed only two hits and walked two batters
Other Nominees: Mason Studstill, FGCU; Tyler Santana, Jacksonville; Noah Skirrow, Liberty; Hunter Harris, NJIT; Evan Michaelis, North Florida.